The gently undulating countryside, tracks, woodlands and quiet country roads around Jedburgh are the setting for horse routes set up by Jedforest Trails.The routes are in two loops, one each side of the river which is crossed, along with the A68, in the middle of the town.
The tracks follow in the footsteps of the Romans, the reivers, the drovers and their cattle and even some of the way taken by Mary Queen of Scots on her visit to Hermitage Castle in 1566.
There are two routes; the Circular route – west and the Circular route – east.
Circular route – west
To the west the route follows an old drove road, before joining a part of the Queens Ride and is never far from the Abbey which can often be glimpsed through the trees. To the west, there are many chances to see the volcanic shape of Ruberslaw and the hills beyond Hawick and Selkirk. These tracks are being developed all the time and will eventually connect up with Tweed Trails, a network of longer distance routes extending over the Border to Keilder Forest, to Dumfries & Galloway and northwards to the Pentlands.
Circular route – east
To the east, part of the route follows ?Dere Street?, where there are spectacular views of the Cheviot Hills, before turning back through woodland and an old carters road towards the town.